Twentieth Century Section at the Pinacoteca Civica in Como.
On the second floor of the Palazzo, paintings, sculptures, photographs and models of furniture document the key moments of 20th-century artistic creativity in Como.
The section begins with nine large photoceramic panels by Marcello Nizzoli, built in the 1930s for the facade of the Casa del Fascio by Giuseppe Terragni.
Two rooms (2.2, 2.3) are dedicated to the great futuristic architect Antonio Sant’Elia: a multimedia station allows you to view over 180 architectural drawings of the civic collection.
The itinerary continues with the works of the 1930s and 1940s by the Gruppo Como (2.4), Mario Radice, Manlio Rho, Carla Badiali, Carla Prina and Aldo Galli.
Rooms 2.5 and 2.6 are dedicated to Giuseppe Terragni and to the Sant’Elia Nursery School, with original period furniture tailored to children, accompanied by historical and photographic material relating to the origin of the architectural project of the nursery school, which was built in 1936.
In room 2.7 the abstract artists of the second generation are brought together, with works of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970sby Aldo Galli – represented in his two and three dimensional studies – Alvaro Molteni and Mario Asnago.
The itinerary then continues with the latest study of contemporary art: in room 2.8 the sculptures by Angelo Tenchio, Nicola Salvatore and Bruno Munridialogue with one another alongside the pictorial works of Collina, Tagliabue, Vairo, Betto Lotti.
The last room (2.9) is dedicated to Ico Parisi, architect and designer, eclectic interpreter of the synthesis of the arts, represented with drawings, photographs, pictorial works, sculptures and design models.
The exhibition itinerary perfectly ends with the large contemporary canvas of Angeli nella notte stellata o le tre oche (“Angels in the starry night or the three geese”), one of Giuliano Collina’s best known and most poetic works.