Neoclassical temple dedicated to Alessandro Volta
Alessandro Volta's "Temple", the Tempio Voltiano was inaugurated on 15th July 1928, it was built on the occasion of the first centenary of Alessandro Volta’s death (1745-1827). Francesco Somaini (1855-1939), owner of a cotton mill in Como and Member of Parliament had the idea of building a place devoted to the memory of the great physicist and to preserve his scientific tools and documents. He had painfully witnessed the ravaging fire that had destroyed the pavilions of the Great Exhibition arranged in Como for the first centenary of the invention of the electric battery, in the summer of 1799. Somaini provided all the necessary financial resources.The architect Federico Frigerio (1873-1959) was put in charge of the project. He believed that “to honour a man who was among the brightest glories of the Napoleonic Era” the most appropriate style would be the Neoclassical style.
The building was featured on the 10.000 Liras bill.
Phone: +39 031 574705
From Tuesday to Sunday
10 am – 6 pm
Last admission at 5.30 pm
Reservations are not required but strongly recommended, especially for groups, in order to avoid waiting.
Send an email to email@example.com at least 7 days before the chosen date.
Surgical face mask required
Full price € 5
Reduced price € 3
Groups minimum 15 people (each)
Children from 6 to 18 years
Senior over 70 years
Combination ticket (2 museum/cultural institutes) € 8
Family pass (2 adults + 2 children from 6 to 18 years, per museum) € 12
Children under 6 years
Severely disabled people + accompanying person
A school teacher every 15 pupils
Registered journalists and tour guides whit valid certificate
The origins of the buildingVai all'articolo
Instruments of Volta's discoveries and inventionsVai all'articolo
Museums Activities with children, adults and schoolsVai all'articolo
Find out more about how to consult the archives of the Como MuseumsVai all'articolo